December 08, 2006

The Kind You Find...

My latest publication, Raspberry Roulette - in this quarter's edition of the cool online magazine Ticonderoga - sees me gettin' a little surreal. It's not an area I tend to dabble in too much, but hell, variety is the spice, ain't it?

The first review is in, at HorrorScope... boy, do those dogs bite quickly?:

A peculiar little story about two boys and a strange competition, it seemed to lack a real point. Even the ending was a little ho-hum (not to mention somewhat unbelievable in terms of reality – but after all, this is fiction). Interesting, but again, seemed to be lacking something.

-- I guess you gotta take the rough with the smooth, huh?

Smooth?

Please!

4 comments:

specficwriter said...

Don't be too hard on yourself about it, mate.

Horrorscope are tough reviewers (I know) but it's only because they have high standards. This isn't a bad thing. I've read some reviews where stories cop an absolute caining!

Reading their comments myself, and having my own work reviewed, I thought you did quite well. They didn't shoot you down in flames or cain you, so I think it's a positive thing.

They're just giving that feedback because they know you can succeed.

Interesting story, too.

Amanda D. said...

Hey Brian - just checking out everyone's blogs. Yours looks great. How you liking Everville? Did you read The Great and Secret Show? That's my favorite of Barker's.

Steven J Dines said...

Congrats on the publication, Brian.

As for the review, wait for Tangent's - I'm sure it will be more positive.

Best,
Steven

Brian G Ross said...

Amanda - never read that one; only Sacrament before this.

spec - I don't really mind the negativity. It's all good. I'm just glad someone else is readin' my stuff!

SJD - yeah, roll on the next review...

;o)