May 17, 2008

The Trappings Of Local Celebrity...

I recently wrote a 3000+ word story for the nine-year-old daughter of a work colleague. It was hard going - I've never written something for such a captive audience, nor have I dabbled with the kind of stuff that nine year old girls are interested in before, or the moralistic way in which those tales are often written... but I think, for a first effort, I may just have pulled it off. As it happens, she enjoyed it, and that's the most important thing.

On the back of this I was also invited - once removed - by her teacher to talk to the class about creative writing. Me?! As good an offer as that was I had to refuse. Unfortunately, I don't think a bunch of pre-teens would be a good test audience for my regular fare, and I haven't written enough of the gooey stuff to warrant a special guest appearance. I was flattered, to be sure, but it wouldn't have been fair to do it. Maybe down the road a little...

No comments: