August 25, 2008

Who's Michael Phelps?

So, you watch the Olympics? Me too, but often between my fingers, cringing.

Team GB brought home nineteen gold medals, but I bet you knew that already, didn't you?

I will sit and watch any sport - all right, maybe not yngling, but all the others - but sometimes the presenters and commentators really try my patience with their partisan attitudes. Several times I've actually had to switch over to another channel because I was in danger of needing my sick bucket.

I appreciate and understand that they are showing their support for the Great British nation, but do they have to flaunt their obvious bias to me every lap/length/serve/point/punch/etc?

I am a fan of sport, not the country the individual or team is representing. Sure, I'm an Australian and if I don't have a particular interest in the outcome I'll more often than not support the Aussie, but I don't let it interfere with my enjoyment of the whole event, and I don't let it affect my opinion of the other participants either.

It's over now for another four years. Beijing put on a great show.

God help me in 2012 when the world's greatest sportsmen descend upon London to show off their stuff.

Our impartial media will be a hundred times worse.

No comments: