May 23, 2010

I'll Have What She's Having...

I saw the theatrical version of When Harry Met Sally... last week, and the relatively small cast of six did a fantastic job of putting one of my favourite romantic comedies on the stage.

Rupert Hill carried off the role of Harry, made famous by Billy Crystal in the film with relative ease for the most part, despite losing his New York accent occasionally; and Sarah Jayne Dunn made Sally believable, including the much anticipated 'orgasm scene'. Meg Ryan would've been proud... although it should be said, I could still tell she was faking it.

The dialogue stuck very closely to that of the film, and a fair chunk of it was lifted right from the script, which is no bad thing as that is some damn fine writing anyway. A few of the sets and locations were altered for the purposes of presentation, but nothing that lessened the story in any way.

The only down side to it was the fact that they were playing to a house that was barely fifty percent full, and I'm not really sure why. It was a Thursday evening, so maybe everyone else was out late-night shopping, I don't know, but I did feel a little sorry for them up there.

The lack of bodies - while it made no difference to what was happening on stage - did mean a slight lack of atmosphere and ambience in the aisles, and that is a shame: it deserves to be seen by more people.

So, go out and find where it's playing near you.

All right, fine... I'll do the grunt work. Click this:

The sex part always gets in the way

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes,yes, yes,yes, yes, YES yES!

Steven J. Dines said...

Thought about going to see this but I just couldn't see how a couple of Hollyoaks actors could ever pull this off. The original is too precious a work to be f*cked with. But perhaps I was wrong.